Wednesday, February 3, 2010

CLASS

What it looked like on my first day of class on my way to the train station. I think I can get used to this....





Speaking of classes...

1) Monday was our first day of French classes. My teacher is very........ well i'm not sure how to describe her. I think the best way to say it is that she is A LOT like many of the FAIS teachers I had growing up (strict, no smiles, smug). You get the picture. Basically NOT like teachers in the U.S.

2) We've had two seminar classes already. Basically it's the program's version of lectures, but they are very interactive and we only have them a couple times a week when we aren't out in the field (more to come on that). So far it has been pretty cool. It's great being surrounded by kids who have the same interests as me. I think our first lecture was 3 hours long, but it ended up only feeling like an hour. EVERYONE knows TONS about public health. And, it's not just one part of public health... all the students have different interests. So, as a result, we are able to get many perspectives on all the different things we are discussing. It's fantastic.



3) Being "out in the field" means that we get to have tours and lectures held at many of the different governmental and nongovernmental organizations that are here in Geneva. Today we went to the United Nations. I am officially allowed to go there and use their library for research. I think I can handle have to look out this window while taking a little break from reading some really important document that I will have most likely checked out...




Here are a few other photos I took inside/oustide the UN. The first is of the loan desk surrounded by the original catalogues (what the library used before they put everything into the computer). The next one is at the front of the UN campus. You can kinda see some of the member nations' flags in the background.






PS: we went to the Red Cross too, and look at the view they have (UN buidling + Alps). Could you ever get enough of this?!?!!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment